Saturday 2 February 2013

Day 1 Results are in.....I am Impressed!

OK, the results are in, and I am still breathing! Therefore, Day 1 of my Pledge to Run...Daily! was successful!

Yesterday began with adjustments in my schedule as I had an extra little person in the house. Elliot had the day off from school due to an in-service, and lets just say that he is a very busy little four year old boy.  But I bribed him with my iPhone convinced him to be my cheering section while I did my run.
Here is Elliot's photograph of Mommy running...ha!ha! It's me, I swear!
I was reminded as to why formal exercise had fallen to the wayside in the past. Life is busy...especially with little ones. Your schedule is always being altered no matter how hard you plan. Little ones get sick, forget their eye glasses (another event that happened yesterday) and sometimes are just stubborn and don't want to do what is on your schedule (and maybe a little bit of this happened too!) That's why wanting change is so important. I want to change. I want to be healthier, happier, stronger, more energetic, more confident. So even though these obstacles were presented to me yesterday when I was all geared up to start my new program, I still made it work....because I wanted to change.

So, after I did the morning school drop-offs, grocery shopping, another school run for forgotten glasses, snacks for Elliot, Audrey & myself, and put baby girl down for her nap...it was time for my run. I was already behind schedule and a little frustrated because of the fore-mentioned interruptions, so I took few quiet moments to collect my thoughts, gave myself a pep-talk and squeezed into some spandex! Wow, so glad I'm running today! TIP: If you ever need to get motivated to workout, pour yourself into some workout gear and take a good long look. Ouch!

Now I'm not going to lie, I was nervous. Nervous because I had set myself up for this challenge and was afraid of poor results. But what are poor results if nothing other than proof that you need to be doing this? So I logged-in (my treadmill has a user profile) and I was instantly overjoyed! The last time I had used my treadmill was 30lbs ago! So to start my workout, I had to press that down arrow 30 times!!! What an energy boost!

There are so many programs on my machine, but I wanted just a straight run to see what I could do, so I chose the Manual option. I set it for 15mins...being more than generous, but not self-doubting...and started...

-I walked for the first 2 mins at 3.0 (2.0 incline) to warm-up 

-increased to 3.5/4.0 for 2 more minutes and then I couldn't handle it anymore!

-upped it to 5.0 (0 incline) and ran!

For 11 full minutes I ran.....comfortably.  

That 30lb loss obviously made a difference since the last time I ran. I then started feeling like I had sold myself short, that I should have added more time, pushed myself. 

-I added 5 mins at 3.5 for a walk to cool down 

When I was finished, assured myself that I had done enough for my first day. 

Now, I am no Bob Harper (secret hearts), but I did on the treadmill what I felt like doing at the time. When I felt I could run, I ran. I didn't plan this workout ahead of time, it was my first day and I wanted to see what I could do.  I'm sure the days ahead will be full of adjustments and challenges.

For Day 1, the results are in and I am impressed with myself!

Here are my stats according to my treadmill monitor:

Manual Program - 15 minutes (4mins walk/11mins run)
1.18 miles
147 cals burned

Extra 5 minutes - Cool Down (walk)
(outside of these results)

20 minutes total workout

Not too bad for an out-of-shape girl trying to make a come back! I hope you are all pushing yourselves to do a little more physical activity each day. You don't have to run on a treadmill, or go to the gym, just move more than you did yesterday!

Happy Groundhog Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment